Thyssen Bornemisza Gallery

Bernard Milford Bernard.MilfordaTELSTRA.COM
Tue Jun 18 18:48:05 PDT 2002

Folks

For those who are in Madrid as part of their pilgrimage, can I
recommend a visit to the Thyssen Gallery, near to the Prado.  Although
I would hate to tell an art lover to miss the Prado, there are many
treasures in the Thyssen, and some that are of great interest to a
returning pilgrim.

One painting in particular that I loved is in gallery 2, called The
Pilgrim's Mass, from around the 14th century.  It shows a motely group
of pilgrims coming into a church (in the middle of mass - typical),
receiving alms from a nobleman (pity we didn't meet some noblemen).
What I loved was the decoration in the hat of the first pilgrim; not
only does he have his shell in his hat, he also has a number of of
decorative pins.  My wile and I both recognised him - "It's Clemant"
she said - substitute someone else you met on the walk.

You can see the painting if you go to
http://www.museothyssen.org/

Go to gallery 2 on the second floor in the virtual tour.  Unfortunately
the reproduction doesn't allow you see the decorations in the hat;
you'll have to go there.

However, it was in Gallery 4 that one of those "Santiago Moments"
happened to me.  There is a painting by Bramantino, around 1500, of the
resurrected Christ.  And for anyone who did the pilgrimage and found it
hard, this painting will floor you.  Yes, it is Christ resurrected, but
not yet Christ triumphant.  The eyes tell you that this Christ has been
through the harrowing of hell and, as someone said, if he is not crying
it is because he has no more tears to shed.  In its placement, it is
the clear break to the renaissance; but its subject is haunting,
personal and humbling.  None of us will ever go through that, but we
have participated, we have tried, we have hurt, we have worked hard to
get to our goal and we are part of what Christ has achieved.

And on a purely practical note; both the Prado and the Thyssen store
backpacks and staffs quite happily.

Bernard Milford
Peregreno