Pilgrims returning

Diana Reid diana.reidaBEA.COM
Mon Jun 17 09:24:47 PDT 2002

I walked the Camino from July 2, 2002 to July 29, 2002.  We experienced much
of the same issues previously mentioned - a LARGE number of people walking
at the same time and quite crowded trails, restaurants, refugios.  The first
2-5 days of the walk were especially difficult, given the distance between
refugios and the not yet 'seasoned' state of our legs, lungs and feet.  We
ended up sleeping on a crowded floor in a refugio hallway more than once
(and frankly, I can only remember 3 warm showers the entire month, but that
became a badge of honor!), and got very stressed about getting up early
(4:30 or 5am) to "hurry" and get to the next refugio to claim a bed. It was
disheartening and exhausting.  So, we stopped.  No, not walking. We stopped
hurrying and worrying.  We took life, and beds, as they came. Only two or
three other times were we out of luck and there was no room at a nearby
refugio when we stopped for the day, but at those times, we easily found a
hotel or private home to sleep in - with perhaps a bit of searching and
additional walking (and picking up assorted other pilgrims in the same boat
along the way). But, it was worth it.  Slowing our pace to our own rhythms,
enjoying the people we met (and seeing them as friends and not competitors)
was worth every last hard floor.

To whomever asked about reserving hotels in advance - my recommendation: try
not to.  Having a set schedule hurries you beyond your natural pace ("I must
get there") or slows you if you're feeling strong (towards the end of the
month we were walking over 23 miles/nearly 40km a day - as our bodies sort
of walked themselves).  Being in hotels regularly also separates you from
the other pilgrims and can be isolating (not that it's not worth it on
occasion to get away and sleep in a quiet place alone for an evening!).
Above all, try to just be, walk, trust.  You'll get there.  But that's not
the best part.  :)  To all of your venturing out this summer, buen camino!
I wish I could be with you.  It's truly an adventure of a lifetime.

Diana