greetings - and a query regarding the Somport route

Robert Ward robertwardaGOSYMPATICO.CA
Thu Jun 13 08:36:19 PDT 2002

Hi everyone,
My name is Robert Ward and I am new to this listserv. I live in Toronto, Canada and have done the Camino on foot from St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port twice, in 1999 and 2000. I'm hoping to go for a third time later this year or next, and am now busy trying to convince my wife that walking across Spain is really a fun way to spend a month or two.

If I may be excused a little self-promotion, I'd like to mention that an account of my Camino experiences appears in my recently published book, "Virgin Trails: a Secular Pilgrimage," which takes a look at some of the great pilgrimages of Western Europe, and especially those devoted to Mary (Lourdes, Fatima, Loreto...), from the point-of-view of a sympathetic non-believer. As yet, the book has only been published in Canada, but if you like, you can check it out on my publisher's website, www.keyporter.com. I plan to have my own website up in the next few weeks.

I'm interested in sharing folk legends of the Camino, particularly those related to saints, so please feel free to pass on any intriguing ones.

I also have a query regarding the Somport route. I heard last week that part of the way is going to be submerged next year beneath an artificial lake. Does anyone know if there is any substance to this report?

Thanks, Robert Ward
----- Get your free WebMail account from Sympatico-Lycos at www.sympatico.ca -----