Another pilgrim fatality

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Jun 7 09:30:34 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
II am loath to send these kinds of message; however, reporting these sad
occurrences may increase pilgrims' awareness and need for care.
Last Sunday a 61-year old Canadian pilgrim, Mary Catherine Kimpton, was
struck and killed by a touring car; her husband, Harry Kimpton, and another
pilgrim that was accompanying the couple momentarily were injured.
Shortly before 4:00 p.m., the Canadian couple and the third pilgrim, who had
offered to help the wife with her backpack, were resting about 5 meters from
Highway NA-132, close to Villatuerta, near the site where the highway crosses
the walking pilgrims' route.
As the three were resting, a car traveling at a significant rate of speed
attempted to make a right turn; apparently the driver lost control, the car
hit the highway guard and as a result leaped off the highway towards where
the pilgrims were resting. The husband was able to jump out of the way and
only suffered minor leg contusions. The car hit the wife directly and she,
reportedly, died instantly; the third pilgrim was thrown several meters off
and suffered serious chest and other injuries.
The two occupants of the car walked out of the vehicle unhurt.

You will remember that earlier this year the bodies of two pilgrims were
found, frozen,
in the Pyrenees.
I don't know whether we have become complacent and careless. I hope not; but
I do believe that we cannot be too careful. Under any circumstances I should
think that nearness to roads with fast moving vehicles poses danger. Much
more so if one is tired and burdened with a backpack. Yet the need for
caution in this respect is not emphasized in the plethora of Camino books and
guides.
In 1999, when six cycling pilgrims were killed in fatal encounters with cars
or trucks, there was a flurry of cautionary warnings in that respect, but, to
my knowledge, there haven't been many since.
Again, sadly, our prayers are called for the eternal rest of Mary Catherine
and the welfare of her husband and family. May the love of Our Lord Jesus
provide them with solace and consolation.

Rosina