from Oloron to Somport

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Wed Jun 5 21:18:44 PDT 2002

When I did it in 2000, I didn't even try the GR 653 after Sarrance. I just
stuck to the road and it was beautiful. On previous sections of the 653 I
had become disillusioned with it when it led me through dense woods when I
could have seen much better scenery from a paved road and also when it led
me to an impassable stream, that forced a long detour. On the way into
Oloron I was walking with a Fenchman from Bordeaux (on his fourth
pilgrimage!) and wanted to continue in his company. It was raining fairly
heavily and he wanted to continue on the 653 from Lacommande where it
deviated from the paved road. The guidebook recommends against taking this
part of the route in bad weather, so I was reluctant to do it with him.
Fortunately, one of the villagers convinced him that it was better to stay
with the paved road, even though it was a longer distance.

regards,

Robert
rspengeraadelphia.net

P.S. After two pilgrimages, my two top choices for scenery are the road
from Sarrance to Somport and the section of the Portuguese route from
Redondela to Pontevedra. (Note: I have not been on the SJPP to Pamplona
section of the Camino Francés.)

P.P.S. impassable stream - impossible dream - There has to be a joke
somewhere in that pair, but I can't visualize it yet.