New participant with questions

Tony McGinty AMcg65aAOL.COM
Tue Jun 4 08:39:59 PDT 2002

Re walking vs. biking: I had a wonderful trip by bike in April-May and
recommend it highly. It was not particulary difficult to get bikes around if
you plan ahead.

 I had a travel case for my bike that I was able to check as luggage at the
airport. You may want to check with your airline ahead of time regarding size
and weight, but the rules seem somewhat arbitrary. On my way to Europe Air
France told me my case was too large and charged me an extra $90. On the way
home, Air France told me my case was too heavy, so I removed a couple of
items right at the airport, and it went with no extra charge.

I flew to Paris, and got on an express train at the airport (Charles de
Gaulle) to Bayonne in the South of France. It was one day's ride from there
to St. Jean Pied de Port from where you can ride over the Pyrenees to
Roncevalles. French trains have racks where you can fit a bike case and it
was no big deal. I made reservations at a hotel in Bayonne where they agreed
to hold my bike case while I was traveling, and I returned there at the end
of my trip to pick up the case and pack my bike, and then a train back to
Paris.

I found that the easiest way to get my bike back to Bayonne was to rent a car
in Santiago. It cost about $120 for a 24-hour rental. I chose this option
after looking into trains (very complicated rules about bikes on Spanish
trains and no direct trains from Santiago to southern France) and shipping my
bike directly home from the airport in Santiago (they apparently will do it
but your bike ends up in a cardboard box, which I didn't feel like was enough
protection for my bike). The car rental (Avis) got me back to San Sebastian
which was a half-day ride away from Bayonne.

The advantage of this route is that you get to spend a bit of time in Paris
if you like.

If you want more info about biking, feel free to contact me.

Tony McGinty
amcg65aaol.com