bicycle logistics

Jean Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jul 13 20:19:00 PDT 2002

We took two boxed bikes from the Madrid airport (Barajas) on the metro  to
the RENFE station (Charmartin), not at rush hour.  3 changes of trains.

At the suggestion of the information agent at Charmartin, we purchased first
class tickets.  The is a space at the end of the first class coach where you
can stand the bike box upright.   You need to buy your ticket and make a
seat reservation at the same time.    In May 2001, there were two direct
trains (no change of train) from Madrid to Pamplona (Iruna), one in the
morning, around 9 am, the other 4 or 5 in the afternoon.   The afternoon
train arrived late at night (10 pm).   We were able to get the bikes on a
public bus and to a Hostal that we called from the airport.

Depending on the time you arrive in Madrid, it might be better to stay over
in Madrid, near the RR station and take the morning train.  Takes about 5
hours.    Then you probably can reconstruct your bike at the RR station,
load up your panniers and ride to the Pamplona refugio.

My significant other and I are both in out early 60's, so it is possible.
Go for it.
     jean