New Person with questions

Bruce McLean b_mcleanaTELUSPLANET.NET
Fri Jul 12 20:37:20 PDT 2002

Maggie Carter wrote:

> Has anyone taken the coastal route?  I am considering walking on it
> in reverse from Santiago for as long as my time permits - I have 7
> weeks total.

You might find walking "backward" from Santiago to either Ferrol or A
Coruña
quite difficult.  There is a guide published by  Xunta de Galicia it is
very "obscure" even when travling "forward" (toward Santiago) and the
"way marking" even in the forward direction can lead to confusion.

You can obtain guides for the various routes in Galicia  "the English
Way" from either Ferrol or  A Coruña, "The Northern Way" from Ribadeo
and  "the Primitive Way" from A Fonsegrad from Informatión Xacobeo at 981
572 004 in Santiago.  However all these guides where written originally
in either Gallego or Castillean and the translation leaves much to be
desired.

The English Society also has several guides covering the entire northern
route and some variants.

I have just completed the normal "French" route I had 7 weeks my one
regret is that I
did "rush" in places more time could have been spent exploring along the
way.  To add to this there is the route from Santiago to Fisterra and
Muxia (one should contemplate their new found spirituality as the sun
sets at the "End of the Earth, Finistera") which is documented, has
refugios and is "way marked"  in the right direction, and the route from
Padron back to Santiago along "the Portugese Way".

Best of Luck