Credential

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Jul 11 18:23:52 PDT 2002

Hi Paul,
The credential that one gets at SJPP is the same provided at Roncesvalles
which is, I believe, produced and provided by the Santiago Archdiocese.
Yes, it is very pretty and practical.  It is accordion-like, slightly less
than the size of a postcard; sandy colored, sturdy, yet very light and it
folds into eight sections with room for at least 40 seals.
It opens with the official presentation of the pilgrim; at the completion of
the pilgrimage  the credential is certified on the same page when the
Compostela is awarded.
The back pages contain practical information, the pilgrims' benediction,
fairly detailed maps (with distances) of the Portuguese Way, The French Way,
various Santiago ways throughout Christian Europe, and a pilgrim's prayer.
I treasure mine, and always take one of them in my regular passport  whenever
I travel and wherever I go.
The front part of the credential is a drawing of a pilgrim's walking stick,
with a shell and a gourd pending from it, resting against an ancient,
iron-studded wooden and knobby door with a prominent medieval key hole and
lock in the center.
I often have wondered what the significance of the inviting key-hole and lock
might be.  Does anyone know?
Warm regards,
Rosina