holy year vs regular year

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 23 22:16:53 PST 2002

have any of you walked the camino during a holy year and can you tell me
what it was like, i.e. the door being opened.

have any of you walk the camino during both a regular and holy year and
can discuss differences and or similarities.

I walked the first time in September of '97, a regular year.  The refugios
were pleasantly full, I could wake up late and didn't feel the pressure to
"get ahead to get a bed."  In '99, a holy year, I worked at the refugio in
Rabanal.  When I was there in '97, only the top dormitory was full - maybe
about 30 to 40 people.  When I was working there in August of '99 we had at
least 125 to 130 people most nights and had to turn others away.   In '97,
most of the white school house refugios in Galicia were completely empty or
had at most four people.

In '99, once past Sarria, I had to start staying at small hotels.  I didn't
want to get involved with the competition for beds.

In short, there was quite a difference between the two years as far as
numbers are  concerned.

lin galea
san francisco