Cruz de Ferro

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Tue Jan 22 15:41:18 PST 2002

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for sharing your story about leaving important mementos behind at
the Cruz de Ferro. Many years ago my mother gave me my little brother Tommy's
sweater (he was killed at age 7, I was a little younger than he). For years I
carried it around with me, not knowing what to do with it. I couldn't toss it
in the trash, couldn't give it away, couldn't unravel it.... didn't want to
keep it any longer. When I walked the lst 100 miles of the Camino in 2000, I
took it with me and made a special trip by taxi from Astorga to the Cruz de
Ferro, and I buried it there under a large rock somewhere towards the top of
the mound. The underside of the rock had a painted message: Leon Libre or
something, which I didn't notice until the photos were developed. Freedom
comes in many guises.
Buen Camino,
Elyn