New Member Introduction

Scott Wiskoski ScottWiskoskiaSTARPOWER.NET
Tue Jan 22 07:08:44 PST 2002

Hi,

I am a new member to the listserv and wanted to introduce myself.

I am a woman with an unusual first name. I live in Washington, DC and last summer, my boyfriend and I walked a little over 330 km of the Road to Santiago, beginning in LePuy, France and journeying as far as Cahors, France.  I am 50 and  he is 59.  We hope to complete the pilgrimage in chunks, depending on our work schedules -- this will mean mostly summers as 1 of us is a teacher. I'm not sure we will get to Spain this summer, but we are hopeful of taking a large hunk of time off this year to be able to do that!

We attended a booksigning and lecturette by Linda and David at a bookstore in Washington, DC this summer and found out about the US-based association -- so it's nice to know there is US-based community.  While walking last summer, we were told that Americans were a rarity.  We'd found all of our information from the UK and France-based associations last year, and they were very helpful.

I was following the discussion about "addiction," "compulsion," etc. and I can add that we both feel drawn to walk the Road to Santiago... perhaps even driven.  I am reading everything I can find, both old and new.

In 2000, I walked another long distance path in the UK and love being out for extended periods of time in the country.  I walked 70 miles of this path by myself in October and it was a wonderful, spiritual experience.  I felt very very safe on the Chemin/Camino/Road this summer and welcomed by all the hosts and pilgrims we met.

One question:  I was curious about the discussion about Williamsburg and if an event related to the Camino is being held there soon?

Cheers
Scott