Security

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Jan 19 13:20:08 PST 2002

To:<A HREF="mailto:ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET">ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET</A>

Your backpack and clothes will be safe in the refugios.  Take a fanny pack so
that you can carry valuables with you anywhere, even to the bathroom if you'd
like.  Don't leave valuables like cameras around.  I only lost one pair of
pretty new hiking socks the entire month I traveled.  They were drying
outside on a clothes dryer at a refugio in Logrono.  Someone may have taken
them by mistake.

A friend lost a new pair of boots elsewhere.  If the boots look old, I doubt
if anyone would take them.  Another good reason to break them in!  In the
refugios,  people look out for each other.  Most of the time another pregrino
is in the dormitory room, napping, reading or writing.  It is unlikely that
anyone would go through your belongings.

By the way, don't be reticent about asking questions.  You may not always get
a coureous reply, but that is the nature of this forum I have learned.

Howard Mendes, NYC