boots , trail runners, sandals

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Fri Jan 18 12:59:45 PST 2002

Dear Joseph,

No one can fully answer your question of what to wear on your feet, but
you'll hear lots of opinions and experience.  My first time on the camino I
walked in my good, thoroughly broken-in Reichle boots.  They were too hot
(my feet were constantly sweaty and I think the heat exacerbated swelling)
and worse, I didn't realize that boots wear much longer than their removable
insoles.  I had painful blisters on the bottom of my feet most of the way.
I learned a great deal about blister care and walking on half-dollar sized
blisters.  I was carrying Birkenstocks which I wore exploring towns when I
stopped, but I was having a hard enough time that I was afraid sandals and
dust getting into socks might lead to infection on an open blister, so I
never tried walking in the Birkenstocks.  That time I walked 300 miles (St.
Jean to Logronyo, Leon to Santiago).

Last May, crossing Somport pass and walking to Estella (115 or so miles), I
wore a new pair of LOWA boots (gore-tex/canvas/suede combination and much
cooler than my old boots).  I carried a second custom insole so I could
alter the boots' fit slightly during the day.  And when the terrain and
weather were appropriate, if my feet were tired or sore toward the end of
the day, I switched to my Birkenstocks.

I also learned to stop immediately if my feet hurt, check what was going on,
make a moleskin or compeed patch (or burst and clean a tiny blister if one
had begun).

The difference to my feet and the pleasure in walking was astonishing.

love,
donald