choosing a route

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Fri Jan 18 08:23:45 PST 2002

Andrea Innes-Michailov wrote:
> "well, regarding routes to take to Santiago, can people write and say why
> they chose their route and how it was.  If any of you have done different
> routes and can compare that would be even better.  Since I am going alone
> would like to be on a route where there are the most people."

Ms. Innes-Michailov:  Based on your statement above, you will want to take
the Camino Frances.  You can start at Saint Jean Pied de Port, cross the
Pyrinees to Roncevalles and the follow the well-marked by yellow arrows
Camino across Northern Spain to Santiago.  Or you can start at Roncevalles
or Pamplona.  This is the best delineated, most popular trail with adequate
towns, refugios, bars, restaurants, and hikers.   You can custom design each
walk to coincide with your physical conditon or desires and still experience
a unique achievement with the day's efforts.  I chose this route for the
same reasons and I have no regrets.  I have not been the same since and I'm
sure your passage will transform you in ways unexpected.  Spain is still
very safe and I found the citizens along the route to be very gracious and
even solicitous of our well being and comfort.  Enjoy!  Buen Camino.  Felipe
Sanchez