Safety Issues and dogs

Mac Quart macsquartaYAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 15 15:45:02 PST 2002

I was actually bitten by a dog on the back of the leg while walking into one of
the major cities (I can't remember the name of the city as I only passed
through.)  The bite was only enough to barely break the skin and tear my pants.
 I didn't do anything about it but clean it. The dog was with his owner and ran
across a street and bit me, possibly thinking I was a threat to the owner.  I
am not sure about that but then again none of us know what runs through the
mind of an animal.  I have been vaccinated against rabies because I work at an
animal hospital (as I have for about 5 years) so take that into account along
with the fact that I get bitten fairly often.  I still wouldn't worry about
this though.  I am sure that my encounter was not common, but in talking to
people along the way, I heard many accounts of dogs barking and growling and
such.  I didn't have a stick at the time I was bitten but later found one along
the way which I carried with me.  I heard one time that rabies is not really a
threat in Europe.  I don't know if this is true but it might be.  I would also
rather carry a stick than worry about a dog being frightened by it.  Dogs are
only afraid of things if they have had prior experience with something similar.
Good luck!  Hope this helps!

Mac

=====
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.  Willing is not enough; we must do.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe