Motives

John Topping j.m.toppingaXTRA.CO.NZ
Wed Jan 9 23:28:51 PST 2002

Greetings Leonard,
I have been viewing your discussions on motives with some interest.  I would
like to put forward some thoughts to you.
Religion:  To me religion gives shape and form to a spirituality that is
inherent in all of us - a longing for God (a returning to that which created
us).  For centuries religion has played an important part for people who
could not find the words or understanding to express their feelings on this
matter.  It also gave answers - if somewhat black and white - to the
questions of what was right and wrong - good or bad and hope for a better
life in heaven.  Have you heard the saying 'The difference between science
and magic is rules" - well religion to me is a spirituality with shape, form
and rules.
Ritual:  We all indulge in ritual - to a greater or lesser degree.  Ritual
is safe and familiar.  It allows a collective bond to develop between people
(e.g. communion) that is based on the familiar.
I wonder how you learned of the Camino - why you have chosen to make this
journey.  Do you not think that perhaps you and all others who journey to
Santiago are 'called' by God to experience his grace and the special
experience that is planned for you.  Personally, I feel that this is a call
on my life - it is an irresistible force that fills my mind, my heart and my
soul with a passion for the journey.  I know the concept of a 'call' on ones
life may sound a bit old fashioned - but it seems to me that the most
satisfied people in this world are those who have followed their calling to
be that which God created them to be.
I probably sound like a boring old Christian fart - but I believe the Camino
is calling me and I am happy to be led.  I will pray that your Camino is all
that you want it to be and that God will meet you on the road.
Blessings and Best Wishes
Marion Topping.