Non-Christian pilgrim experiences

Ellen Grunblatt aplsosaMAINEWEST.COM
Tue Feb 26 17:32:21 PST 2002

Well, I think there are both universal aspects of this experience and also
particular issues that bear addressing.  I read Nancy Frey's book, Pilgrim
Stories, and was struck by the anecdote about the Japanese pilgrim who was
denied the Compostela because he was not Christian, and I quickly decided
that I would not make myself vulnerable to that particular rejection.   I
was further struck by how little else was written about experiences of
non-Christians, which is why I asked the question of the list.  Elyn, is any
of this addressed in your book? (sorry I haven't read it--yet!)  Much as
it's important to know how to prevent blisters, I appreciate being
forewarned of possible spiritual difficulties and discomforts, so thanks to
all for the range of responses.
Ultreya and shalom--
Ellen Grunblatt