Non-religious participants

Marcia Whitney-Schenck CHRNARTSaAOL.COM
Tue Feb 26 15:11:55 PST 2002

I'm new to this list (as of one day), and I will be making my first
pilgrimage in June. While I can't vouch whether the church has been
nonsupportive to adventurers, I would only like to make three observations:

1. The application of Catholic practices may be more conservative in rural
Spain than the United States. Even other Christians--Protestants and
Evangelicals--may disapprove of certain Catholic practices and theology
connected to pilgrimages.

2. Generally, we live in a secular world. Most rituals and institutions have
completely lost their religious origins. I'm thankful that the Catholic
church is trying to hold onto the religious roots of the Pilgrimage. This
makes El Camino unique. Without the spiritual aspects, El Camino is the
Appalachian Trail.

3. It seems pointless to debate the superiority of experiences. We are all
travelers on the same road, a cause for celebration.

Marcia Whitney-Schenck