Non-Christian pilgrim experiences

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Tue Feb 26 05:09:04 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/26/2002 12:32:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kesatotaSHAW.CA writes:

> Why does everyone assume that the Christians
> have the exclusive rights the the Camino? Sort of like the Egyptian
> thinking that they have the exclusive rights to the pyramids, but do
> they just because the pyramids are in their land.

As a Jewish person, I was profoundly touched by one particular experience.
In Astorga (a beautiful city, I mistakenly went to the old refugio before I
found the new one.  It is located on what is called Plaza de la Synagogua
which is only a lovely little park with no signs of any Jewish connection
except its name.  I later learned that what had once been a thriving Jewish
community had been totally obliterated by the Spanish Inquisition.  So for a
non-Christian to witness this absence and wonder about what would be there if
not for the persecution and intolerance of the Catholic Church over the
centuries was an important part of my Camino.  I found this one of many
revelations even though I am not a religious person, although I might
consider myself spiritual.

On this subject, Jean-Pierre (a very spiritual person in my opinion), a great
friend from France, was denied his Compostela in Santiago because he refused
to state that he did the Camino for "spiritual" purposes.  His reason was
that he did not want to submit to the Church, which interprets that to mean
something other than just spiritual, as a matter of conscience.  He actually
walked further than I did.  When I told him how badly I felt that he did not
get the certificate, he shrugged and said that he had the Compostela HERE and
he touched his heart.  I saw tears start to well up in his eyes and I
lightened the conversation to cheer him up.  So the Church is still very
rigid and in my opinion has vestiges of intolerance.

I am sure that this will spark some controversy on listserve.

Howard Mendes, NYC