Cell Phones in Europe and the US

Scott Wiskoski ScottWiskoskiaSTARPOWER.NET
Wed Feb 20 13:52:18 PST 2002

Hi all,

The non-US world operates on a standard referred to GSM.  Whereas we
have different and incompatible standards here in the US.  When I was
in Barcelona, Spain last March, all of my colleagues' phones from
around the world worked there .... while my phone did not.  To reach a
colleague traipsing around the city on his/her mobile phone, I used my
AT&T calling card to call his/her number.  Had I had a GSM phone with
me, I could have just called directly as did everyone else whether
they were from Australia, Switzerland, South America.

In the US, the 2 providers that have GSM service are Nextel (some
phones and some service, but not all) and VoiceStream. 2 years ago, I
borrowed a Nextel phone that worked overseas for a 200 mile trek and
it worked beautifully even in the remotest parts of Wales and on the
train.  I heard from other friends who also borrowed this same phone
that it also worked in Greece, Italy, France.

With some mobile service, your carrier may have international
capability and you might be able to buy/rent an international phone --
e.g., AT&T Wireless I believe has this option.... the phones sometimes
have a "SIM card chip" which enables the GSM service.

I would think that someone from Europe using a GSM phone here would be
constrained by the relative lack of a GSM network in the US and the
service would work where VoiceStream, Nextel International works, etc.
In other words, it would probably work in selected major metropolitan
areas where the networks have been built for GSM. You can go to a
specific carrier's website and see where they have service.  The
Nextel site gives the rates as well for calls within specific
geographies.

Despite langauge in the US to the contrary, I don't think that the
prevalence of a GSM network here in the  US is going to increase very
fast... the network here is reserved at certain bandwidths for
Defense, emergency preparedness, etc.

I may not have this 100% right ... but that's the situation as I
understand it.  I loved using the Nextel phone in both Europe and here
BTW but it was expensive!   Ditto with other mobile services!!

Scott Wiskoski
AIM ID:  scottieonzetrail