Sv: Unbeliever on the Camino?

fkjaer fkjaeraPOST7.TELE.DK
Sun Feb 17 10:28:22 PST 2002

Hi Chris,

You wrote:

> (...) some of the recent posts have given me pause and made me wonder whether the Camino is the right kind of adventure for me. (...) I am troubled about what seems to be a heavy emphasis on religion and spirituality. (...) With all the overcrowding that I hear so much about, is it possible to avoid hearing discussions, and possibly arguments, about these very personal matters? Do the ever-present artifacts of mankind detract from the infinitely more impressive works of nature? Can one find solitude if one wishes? Does an unbeliever like me even belong on the Camino? <

A Danish journalist living in a small village in Southern France was one day asked by the 90 years old local priest why he never attended mass.
The journalist, who hadn't wanted to offent anybody in the little community, answered: "But father, I am a Protestant."
And the priest said: "That is no problem. No problem at all. We should have a lot more people like you within the Catholic Church."
I find that answer very beautiful.
Change the words 'Protestant' to your 'Unbeliever' and 'the catholic Church' to 'the Camino' and I find the answer applies to you too. From reading your description of your walk on the Appalachian Trail one can see that there is no better pilgrim than you.
And yes, you can find both company and solitude on the camimo.

Frans.

[ 56°11'38,6'' N. - 10°14'5,36'' E. ]
E-mail: fkjaerapost7.tele.dk