Penance

Russ Irwin rirwinaUSAOR.NET
Thu Feb 14 23:31:34 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:18:10 -0500, Andrea wrote:

>How is it you know of these etymologies?
>"apostrepho" or "epistrepho"; that is, "I turn back on the road I have been
>traveling, I change my mind (metamelomai), I repent (metanoia)"
>Being the "wanna be linguist" that I am...
>I had to ask.

Not sure exactly what you meant here, but it reminded me of something I had read several years ago.
I don't mean this as for you, but rather it's how I now look at myself. I can't find the article,
but from memory it went something like this:

I was walking down a road
There was a big hole in the road
I fell in
It wasn't my fault
I felt helpless because I couldn't get out
I finally did get out, but it took forever.

I was walking down the same road
There was a big hole in the road
I saw it but I still fell in
It wasn't my fault
I felt helpless for awhile
I finally got out again.

I was walking down the same road
There was that same big hole in the road
I pretended I didn't see it but I still fell in
It was my fault
I got out much quicker this time.

I was walking down the same road
There was still that same big hole in the road
I saw it
I walked down another road.

Russ