Fright

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Mon Feb 11 20:58:47 PST 2002

Great story Gabrielle--Ojo Andrea:

My Camino experience is the same but since I could converse with the indigenes I had a series of memorable encounters, invitations, conversations, and memories that I could not have duplicated here in the Colonies.  In fact I seem to have found a social element in Spain that I had been missing all  my life.  I cannot explain this phenomenon nor will I posit an etiology but such is my comfort and satisfaction level while on the Hibernian Peninsula that I am seriously considering expatriation as a way to complete my declining years.  We have everything in the US and yet at the same time we seem to have nothing.  I have been plagued by an emptiness for decades that I have filled with substances, dalliances,  excesses, and obsessions.  Now, post Camino, I seem to have found my voice, love has for the first time penetrated my consciousness in the form of a chance encounter and "flechazo" near Palas do Rei, and my life-long, damnable, pervasive, persistent, soul-numbing melancholy has finally dissipated.  Camino?  In many ways it has been my road to salvation, a road I started down years ago in Guatemala, afterwards with a multitude of Spanish classes, an intercultural marriage, my personal apotheosis at Trujillo, and a continuing fascination with Spain, the language and her people.  Would that everyone could extract and integrate into their lives that with which I have been gifted by "The Mother Country."  Give yourself freely to the Camino and she will reward you in ways even the most prescient among us cannot foresee.  Felipe Sanchez