Fright

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Mon Feb 11 17:45:56 PST 2002

I can fourth and fifth Felipe's and Jim's messages, Andrea.  I arrived in
Pamplona (talk about your city of brotherly and sisterly love!) exhausted,
famished, in the worst pain of my life, and ready to quit right there and
then.  I couldn't find lodging, hadn't yet figured out siesta times and I
made the mistake of calling home which just enhanced my feeling like I was
making the biggest mistake of my life.  I sat on a curbside, tugged my hat
down lower, and proceeded to cry my eyes out.  Eventually, I calmed down and
realized I just couldn't sit there, so I memorized the phrase "can you please
direst me to the nearest taxi stand?"  I let one woman walk by, then chose to
ask a kindly-looking man with his family.  They looked on me with such
kindness, offered a ride to a pensionne they knew of, helped me up the stairs
to my room and left me in the capable hands of the very sweet owner.  They
then returned with medicine for my muscles and invited me to their home for
dinner.  Four hours later, Manuel picked me up again and brought me to his
home where I had a wonderful homed cooked meal with my new "family".  As it
turned out, Manuel and his wife Maria had each walked the Camino and had
taken an oath to provide whatever aid they may to pilgrims in need.  I had a
fantastic evening helping their daughter with her English and letting her
help me with my Spanish.  It was by far the most joyous time of my life.
Many angels appeared during my pilgrimage, but Manuel and his family are a
treasure to me.  We write letters back and forth and I hear all the news of
their family and Pamplona.  I will remember that evening for the rest of my
life!  I took the following day off, just wandering around that enchanted
city.  The next morning, at 5:00 am, I started again, refrieshed, energiszed
and feeling as if a veil had been lifted.  I know I would not have completed
the Camino without the help and love of Manuel and his family.

Andrea, I completely empathize with your fear, and no matter what anyone
says, you will experience it in your own way.  But maybe hearing these
stories will alleviate your fears just a little.  I am excited for you that
you are in this planning stage, for I remember it very well.  It's a very
special time!

Take heart and just walk through the fear.

Buen Camino!
Gabrielle