Pilgrim Stories

Channing Thieme channingtaRCN.COM
Tue Feb 5 17:02:01 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Grust" <DEG33aAOL.COM>
To: <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: I didn't know

>....To me it is a privacy
> issue.  ....What also
> springs to mind is that book which was basically someone's doctoral
> dissertation on why people did the camino (can't remember who wrote it)
but
> I do recall that each story was told in a very vague way without names so
> that someone's personal history was not revealed eventhough these people
knew
> the purpose of the project.

The book that Diane is referring to, if I am correct, is "Pilgrim Stories -
On and Off the Road to Santiago" by Nancy Frey  (Univ. of CA Press /
998)  -  which I recommend to those who are interested in gripping accounts
about pilgrims and fascinating insights into all aspects of the Camino.   It
may also interest some of you to check out her website www.onfootinspain.com
That is On Foot In Spain.   She and Jose Placer conduct personal and
small group walking tours of the Camino, Galicia, and other parts of
Northern Spain.  We went on their 8 day Galicia tour in 2000 which is where
we learned about the Camino  -  returning to walk it last September.

Channing