I didn't know

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Tue Feb 5 17:03:46 PST 2002

I find it passing strange that contributors are concerned about appearing in
photos or being mentioned in a text about them and the Camino.  The reality
is such that no matter which of the aforementioned occurs not a whit of
change will be evidenced in your lives.  To take offense at such banal
trivialities in this age of psychology tends to evince a strain of
insecurity, a touch of paranoia, or a subconscious quest for the power to
control every aspect of one's surroundings.  I am reminded of certain
primitive tribes that believe possession of hair, nail parings, or an image
grants the owner power over the donor's soul.  Even though I have been
apostate all my adult life it seems fairly obvious to me that some of the
principles basic to the belief structure that sponsors the Camino have been
overlooked or ignored.  To wit tolerance, trust, good will, and charity leap
to mind.  Furthermore the concept of liberty to remain viable requires a
strong sense of self confidence which in turn precludes the necessity to
micro-manage the activities of those in close propinquity.
Many undertake pilgrimages as a means of self-transformation and a quest for
inner peace, completeness and closure.  The accomplishment of such a worthy
goal is rendered impossible in a consciousness directed by hackneyed
principles, callow judgments, and feckless outlooks.  As we traverse the
camino of our lives though our feet trod mire our thoughts merit direction
toward the heavens.  Felipe Sanchez