miles per day

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Feb 4 20:17:56 PST 2002

dear Andrea and Chris,

In 1998 my daughter Maria and I averaged 15 miles a day for twenty-one days
from St. Jean to Logrnyo and then from Leon to Santiago (we bussed across
the Meseta because we only had thirty days in Spain).  This spring my wife,
Ellen, and I walked over Somport pass to Estella which is about 120 miles or
so, and we averaged 12 miles a day.  Both times our days got longer as we
walked, though not at all steadily.  Maria and I did some 25 mile days at
the end, but we'd had a few four mile hobbles when I had blisters earlier
on.  Our problems were not stamina, muscle or aerobic problems, but blisters
for me (aged 52 then) and sore knees and hip joints for me (aged 22 then).
Ellen had a sore knee (a flare-up from a skiing injury).  We walked at her
pace (very slow to begin with over Somport Pass and down through Jaca, and
she walked through that soreness.  Both times we were grateful for a small
bottle of Advil for sore joints.

Both times I had to let go of any driven-ness or desire to be certain of
goals and accomplishment and simply allow that piece of pilgrimage to be
itself, finding our pace, walking as we could, accepting that we might not
make our projected completion (though each time we did).

I know there are people who walk straight through with no breaks once
they've begin, but if it's possible, I would certainly recommend a weekly
day of rest (two nights in the same town).  That means not staying in a
refugio one of those nights, but for any of us who are "completing" our
training as we walk, the body needs that break to recover, rebuild, and
consolidate muscle and endurance gains.

Walking for several days, you will realize that there are people who walk
much faster or farther than you and some who walk much slower or not so far.
Those of us who think in competitive terms do well to leave that thinking
behind with other excess - way too heavy to carry!

love,
donald