Midnight mass and creches

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Mon Dec 30 08:16:27 PST 2002

I can only say that throughout the many Catholic countries that I have
visited in my travels, and even in my own Episcopalian church in the U.S.,
creches from Mexico are highly prized and admired. In fact, two years ago the
Vatican itself used a Mexican creche as its own official Christmas greeting.
There is a church in Rome (on a street parallel to the Corso) noted for its
in-situ well and much visited by parishioners who flock there to get some of
the well's water, that holds a "presepios" -nativity scenes- exhibition
around Christmas. The creches exhibited there are stunning, and invariably
contain a few from Mexico.  There is also a Roman "presepio" society whose
members seek and preserve noteworthy creches, and its members bestow much
praise on the ones from Mexico.
I have seen Mexican creches made out of corn husk, thread, sand, all sorts of
stones and paper, gold, silver, glass, ceramics, tin, etc., and during a
Christmas visit to the famed "Bazar Sabado" in Mexico City, I just couldn't
resist purchasing a creche carved at the top of a toothpick, the intricate
details of which can only be discerned through a magnifying glass!
Well, a belated Christmas wish to all of you in this list and the very best
wishes for PEACE and goodness in the coming year.
Liz