Personal Introduction

Bruce McLean b_mcleanaTELUSPLANET.NET
Mon Dec 16 12:20:20 PST 2002

Jennifer Schwartz wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a new subscriber, my name is Jennifer Schwartz. I am from Hawaii but am
> now living in Bordeaux, France. I walked most of the Camino in the beginning
> of May 2002 with a friend from Texas. We started on May 1st in
> St-jean-pied-de-port and went to Pamplona.( I highly advise against this as
> May 1st was the starting date of about 300 other pilgrims, we couldn't find
> refugio space for the first few days) Then, due to time constraints, bussed
> it and trained it to Astorga where we continued to the end, finishing at
> Santiago on May 14th.
>
> I would love to share any of my "expertise" from my personal experiences
> with anyone planning on starting the trip.
>
> Also, I am looking to get back in contact with a few people I met,
> particularly Pepe (and his little dog) from So. Cali, and the couple from
> India.

Funny, I walked from St John Pied de Porte on the first of May, I never had a
problem finding "room at the inn". In Roncesvalles as well as the refugio there
is a youth hostel and two small hotels.
If you don't try to make the journey over the pass in one day but rather break
it up with a stop at one of the gîtes located around Untto it would be possible
to go on past Roncesvalles and stay at Burguete. The place where accomodation in
the refugios was "tightest" was Pamplona and there is no trouble with hostals
there in May.
Camping gear is an unnecessary weight imho.