Compostela: Spanish v Latin

Joe and Lydia Banales lydiaaBANALES.NET
Fri Aug 30 11:00:02 PDT 2002

Perhaps in the off season pilgrims are questioned more thoroughly.  When I
approached the clerk for my Compostela, she asked me the usual demographics,
then looked in my eyes very intently and prefaced her next question with the
comment, "Now this is very important - why did you walk?" I knew the correct
answer, of course, and wanted my Compostela, not a tourist certificate. So I
said Religious and she stamped my document. I think for many pilgrims, the
"certificate" process is a bit of a let down, because it means that the
Camino is over. And along with that realization is the loss one goes through
of the friends met along the way, the process of the walk itself, and the
imminent return to reality. I don't know exactly how to express it , but the
other loss is the Innocence of that first Camino which can never be
experienced again. All the uncertainty, doubt, fear, exhileration when the
refugio really was where the guidebook said it would be, all the firsts. We
plan to walk another section in September but I'm having trouble gathering
the enthusiasm I had the first time. St. James will provide. Lydia