thievery.

Joe English santiagowalkingaHOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 29 04:26:42 PDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:56:54 -0700, Robert J. Toy <rjtbetoaSBCGLOBAL.NET>
wrote:

>My bike-mate is getting paranoid about thievery on the camino. I know
>one should remain diligent and use street smarts. But has anyone ever
>heard of one getting one's bike stolen while on the route? He's also
>heard about thievery in the refuges. Help me out here...this guy is
>getting me down. Help me reassure him all will be well if we're smart.
>Thanks...Bob Toy

I have never heard of bikes being stolen, but as a walker maybe I would not
hear about such theft.
Regarding pilfering in the refugios, the only one we were warned about was
Burgos. This is because it is in the middle of a park in a large city,
consequently lots of different people wandering about.I have not heard of a
systemic problem in the refugios in the small towns along the way. I am
sure there are isolated incidents, but it is not a general concern that
gets voiced among pilgrims. If it was a problem then pilgrims would discuss
it in the evenings and on forums like this. That is not the case.
Problems that get talked about (in order of priority) are
1)Feet and blisters
2)Blisters and feet
3)Feet ........
One should exercise reasonable care, and not leave valuables lying around.
Neither myself or other pilgrims that I know have had a problem with theft
in the refugios. Pilgrims are not exactly rich pickings for thieves.
Hope this helps to calm your friend down
Buon camino
Joe