Where are all the children?

Bernard Milford Bernard.MilfordaTELSTRA.COM
Sun Aug 18 00:14:39 PDT 2002

Folks

Walking the camino, especially in Galicia, one is struck by how few
children one sees.  I know thet the birth rate in Spain is one of the
lowest in the world, and I know that there is a lot of rural
depopulation, but you can go for days without seeing young people
(well, almost)

Here is a site that some might find intersting.  It features maps of
population density, children under 4 and people over 65 as a % of the
population.  Surprise, surprise, the camino frances goes right through
the areas of lowest population density, lowest number of kids under 4
and highest number of people over 65.  Click on the Spain and Portugal
maps, also look at the "sparsely populated areas of Europe" (yer,
right, says this Aussie) map.

Still doesn't answer ... why?

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/ERD/DB/data/maps_0.htm

Much love to fellow pilgrims