So, who's leaving in the next month or so?

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sat Apr 27 08:45:37 PDT 2002

Ginny,

I vaguely remember a report that there were only a dozen bears left in the
whole Pyrenees range. I just did a simple search and came up with the following
http://www.ariege.com/pastoralism/bears.html

It describes the recent effort to try to reintroduce bears to the region from
elsewhere in Europe (Slovenia). One statement in that site that really
surprised me was that there are still 5000 bears estimated to be in the state
of New York. I have seen only one pilgrim report on bears. Jacques Paqué
claimed that he saw a bear paw print in the snow at Somport:

http://www.hol.nl/private-pages/jp/index.html

I would think that the Appalachian Trail hikers would have a far, far greater
chance of a bear encounter than a pilgrim spending one or two days in the
Pyrenees. And I don't remember ever seeing any reports of bear problems in the
Appalachians. The real hazard in the Pyrenees is weather, so it is best to
check with the locals on that before crossing.

regards,

Robert