The crucifix at Melide (was no subject)

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 24 10:48:00 PDT 2002

I can't speak spanish well, but I understood the woman to be saying that
there were three things symbolized:

1) the dual nature of Christ as Divine (hand reaching upward) and human
(hand reaching to earth).
2) Christ helping us on our pilgrimage, which is difficult, just as
Christians are called to the way of the cross, along which Christ helps us
3) the saving work of Christ, who, in dying on the cross, enabled us go into
a deeper relationship with God, so Christ as bridge (just like we had just
crossed over a bridge, I think she said in her little introduction).

At least those are the three thins I thought she was saying.

I think I planned on going back to get a picture later that evening, but
then was too tired after I stopped walking.

San Juan de la Cruz, very influential in Spain, suggested that everyone
meditate on the cross, and for his monastery wanted everyone to have one, a
picture which he drew hangs in a museum for St. Teresa of Avila in Avila --
I saw the original, and it was an inspiration for Dali's Christ of St. Jn of
the Cross, which is a modern favorite.  I have a print of both hanging next
to each other in my private space in my dorm.

It does indicate that the artist understood something deeper in the cross
than many of us think, and I wonder if s/he spent a lot of time meditating
on the cross intently.

Michael B