Preparing and exercise

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Thu Apr 18 11:40:12 PDT 2002

In a message dated 4/18/2002 3:17:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
beken_barbaraaYAHOO.COM writes:

> My question is, how many of you prepared physically
> for it, in the way of exercise and training?
>
> I never hiked with a backpack in my life before I decided to prepare for
the Camino.  Also my age at the time, 65, and my out of shape physical
condition seemed problematic, so I decided to prepare by walking with a
loaded pack around Manhattan, up to 8 miles a day and almost every day, was
the way I got ready.  All this may have helped, but the hills and terrain of
Spain (not the rain in Spain!) were far more challenging that the hills of
Central Park and the paved surfaces of the City.  However, I completed the
Camino.  My advice is to do a modest amount of exercise and training and
visit a podiatrist if you have any foot problems before you go.  It will
still be arduous I promise you.  With enough time to rest and limiting the
number of hours you walk each day, any healthy person can complete the Camino
without too much pain and suffering even though they may not be in top
physical shape, a hiker or a gym goer.  Howard Mendes, NYC