BackPack/insecurities

Jim Damico jdamicoaGRAPEVINE.NET
Wed Apr 17 18:17:02 PDT 2002

Although I can't contribute any about the Camino (I'm a pilgrim-hopeful), I
can give my perspective on long-distance hiking and backpack weight.

In 1998, I hiked 2160-miles in about 6 months along the Appalachian Trail.
Older, out of shape, overweight and with a backpack that weighed about 45
pounds (about 20 kilograms I think), I was able to complete the trip while
others much younger, stronger and in better shape quit because of injuries,
both physically and mentally.  My secret; I took my time to acclimate to the
pack weight on my knees and ankles, only averaging 9 miles/day that first
month.

The big difference between the Camino and the AT, is that I had to carry 5-6
days worth of food on the Appalachian Trail, along with a tent.  So, after
reading some travelogues and doing research on the Camino, I think I'll be
in long-distance hiking heaven with all the refugios and not having to carry
all that food.  The CSJ recommendation of 10% of your body weight sounds
great to me (that would be about 20 pounds for me).

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1) worry more about acclimating your knees & ankles to the increased weight
of a backpack instead of worrying about mileage.  It's more a question of
time you have to support the weight than distance traveled (although they
are connected).

2) I'd recommend a larger backpack only because it usually has better
support and weight transfer than smaller packs.  But that's only if you can
refrain from filling it to capacity. <grin>

3) Start out slow, you can always speed up later (but try not to).  On the
AT, it gave me a better appreciation for the country I was traveling that
first month, instead of memories of agony every night as I went to bed.

4) For the AT, I had some light-weight nylon & leather hiking boots.  If I
had to do it over again, I'd have gone even lighter with running shoes or
sandals.  If you got slow and steady, your ankles and knees (specifically
tendons and ligaments) will get stronger, negating the need for more
support.  But if you want or need to go fast and heavy (or you're only
hiking a short section like two weeks worth), you definitely need the more
support of a heavier boot.

5) With hiking poles I could easily walk a 20-mile day on the AT, while
without poles even a 15-mile day was pushing it.  Be warned, on a level
road/trail, you won't feel much benefit.  Where they are worth their weight
in gold is the climbs and descents.

6) And last <thank God> what to pack, or not pack.  Because the route goes
through towns instead of avoiding them, remember that you can probably buy
something you essentially need if you forget to pack it.  To keep pack
weight to it's minimum, just pack ONLY things that you will use EVERY DAY
(except for emergency first aid).  If you need it once a week or less, ask
yourself if it's really that important.  And don't forget to GET RID OF IT
if you decide you don't need it as you walk.  I'm sure they have places for
donations of clothes, etc, for the poor.

I hope I've been able to contribute something to the listserv.  Guess I'll
learn later (Sept-Oct 2002) if my own advice holds true. <smile>

Jim Damico of Kansas City, MO