Music

jim allen jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM
Wed Apr 17 08:25:18 PDT 2002

The local costumed bands are called Tuna bands.  We were fortunate to hear one late at night across from the Cathedral playing for the tourists.   You might get a kick out of seeing what they do with a couple of "peregrino" shells rubbing them together in tune with the music.  Yes, you Irish will feel right at home.
When we stopped at Ponferrada around September 9 there was a huge festival with groups parading around town, many with Celtic music accompanying them.
If you can plan to be in a town that is having a festival, do it.  We enjoyed fiestas in O Cebreiro and Ponferrada.  Be aware that it will be loud until the wee hours of the morning.  In O Cebreiro I remember that at 2:00 in the am I wondered when they would stop although I loved it.

Jim Allen
Seminole, Florida