Protocol for locks for backpacks on the Camino

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 11 12:17:33 PDT 2002

Hi Denise,

I carried a thin, light little cable - the kind with a
loop on either end like a bicycle cable - that I got
in a camping/travel store, as well as a little tiny
combo lock.  I used it mainly in bus/train stations or
airports.  I also used it a couple of times in a
refugio if I got a "bad feeling".  It gave me some
peace of mind so I did not waste time on stress.  But
I never had any theft problems.

I did, however, hear of some problems from other
pilgrims.  For example, there was a rash of thefts in
the Puente La Reina public refugio around the time I
went through there.  I had stayed in the (very nice)
private refugio there, but a woman who became a
walking companion of mine from O'Cebreiro to
Finisterre had had her boots stolen there - this was a
theft by a local, not a pilgrim.

That kind of theft is of the "snatch & grab" variety.
A lightweight lock and cable will not prevent serious
or organized theft, but I think the S&G type is most
troublesome to the pilgrim and is easy to prevent.  A
cable can be looped through boot laces as well as pack
strap at night to prevent snatching.

Of course, everyone knows not to leave valuables
unattended.  I carried a small duffle that slung
across my opposite shoulder.  I wore it in front while
walking to keep my valuables in sight and the other
things I used regularly - guidebook, camera,
sunscreen, snacks, etc - in easy reach.  In the
evening, it served as my "purse".  I slept with it in
my sleeping bag or right at my head with the strap
tied around the headboard to prevent snatching.

Pilgrims do not carry much that is valuable or cannot
be replaced.  But losing a pack or boots can be a big
hassle.  Losing her boots set my friend Olga back a
couple of days and some money as well.

I think living in fear or paranoia can invite
problems, but some basic precautions can help
alleviate some potential dangers and hassles.  But
overall, the Camino is a very safe place and when I
walked in autumn, there were generally good,
protective feelings between pilgrims. People looked
out for one another.

Ultreya!
Adrienne