OK..so where to start? Robert's message...

Judith Nollar jnollaraLIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU
Thu Apr 11 10:37:09 PDT 2002

Hi Robert, Lois and All,
Robert is perfectly right about the Arzacq-SJPP route.. In 2000 we walked
Moissac to SJPP.  Arzacq, Arthez, Navarrenx, St.Palais  was the hardest of
the entire section.
It  is confusing,  perhaps the most vague, and the hardest walking section
of the Moissac-SJPP route, and neither the CSJ guide nor IGN Topo-Guide GR
65 Cahors-Roncevalle , both of which we used in current editions, correct
the problem. It was the only time we got lost or had to kind of make up our
own variation on the 'official" Sentier de St.- Jacques.
Train transportation is sparse in the far SW of France, and the problem
remains of easily getting to a remote spot.  One can work with the
problematic local buses.
If my  only goal in "backing up" from St. Jean P-P were to have a better
warm-up for the mountains, I would still go to Bayonne, take the train that
goes to SJPP, but get off at Cambo-les-Bains and walk the 34 km to SJPP.
The local road follows a pretty route along the River Nive.  An alternate
training strategy would be to take a long day hike (22km) or overnight from
SJPP to the attractive village of St. Etienne de Baigorry before hitting the
mountain.  This was recommended to us by some bikers we met in SJPP.

Best wishes to all,
Judy Nollar
jnollaralibrary.Caltech.edu