Trekking Poles vs. Pilgrim Staff

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Wed Apr 10 10:32:14 PDT 2002

lightweight trekking poles at REI.  However, I'm interested in your feedback
as to the necessity/value of poles.

I was thinking perhaps it's better to get a pilgrim staff (wood?) along El
Camino.
I thought this would make a wonderful memento as well as aiding in walking.
(I'm only walking the last 100 or so miles due to time constraints at this
time, but I will be back.)

Thanks in advance.>>>>>>>>

Susan

It depends on what you want.  The collapsible hiking poles are much better than
a walking stick.  They adjust to the terrain, short for up hill, long for down
hill un-equal lengths for side hills.  Your arms do part of the work up hill
and they save your knees by providing breaking support down hill.  They are the
equivalent to cross country ski poles and you rarely see a skier without poles.
They are very popular with hikers in the Alps.  I never go hiking without them.
 However, they are not authentic Camino walking sticks.

A walking stick is heavy, does not provide as much support and does not really
help going up or down hill.  It makes a good club and will probably provide
many fond memories when you get home if you can get it on the plane.

Just my thoughts.

bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue