Introducing myself

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Apr 9 18:44:19 PDT 2002

Hello Lois, Laura, Adrienne et. al
Your various references to Shirley McLaine's book have caught my eye.
I returned from Spain last week (not from the Camino,  but from Seville's
Holy Week), and while there I was asked so many questions related t Shirley's
book that I felt compelled to go out and get a copy and reread it.  The book
is selling briskly, at least in Andalucia, and has sparked a  lively
curiosity.
Again, as I did the first time I read it, I bypassed the conversations with
"John", and the remembrances of Carlomagno, and the ubiquitous metaphysical
references; nevertheless I found things to admire in the book that escaped me
before:  the succint and simple way in which Shirley describes the striking
challenge of the Camino: total surrender to one's self, without the supports
and conveniences of modern times; the yearning for some olden ages when the
spirit was unencumbered by the accruements of modern life, and was,
therefore, freer, and, eventually,  the simple way in which Shirley herself
surrenders to faith metaphorically, despite her disinclination to do so, by
the simple purchase of a small cross (which she believed had been hers some
lifetimes ago), and the comfort and security she  found, when needed,  just
by clutching the small cross in her hand.
On reading the book, sort of, for the second time, I could see why it is
enjoying a, rather belated, success in Spain, of all places.
While in Seville I got quite a few new and interesting books on the Camino. I
will write about them later.
Meanwhile, I wish to extend a personal welcome to those of you new in this
list.
Sincerely,
Rosina