ultralight, small torso backpacks

Alan Hogarth alan.hogarthaNTLWORLD.COM
Sun Apr 7 01:15:46 PST 2002

Hi Denise
I speak from limited experience of my pack, because I've only used it for one weekend - so far.  I decided to carry as little weight as possible and did a lot of research.  I considered the GoLite Breeze but was put off by comments by some users that being without a waist belt it tends to swing from side to side and cause rubbing on the shoulders.

So I bought a Golite Gust, which has a waist belt, the complete pack weighs 19 0zs and I found it very comfortable on my one and only trial, so far.  The Gust is made in three sizes, I tried the small, but exchanged it for the medium which is great for me.

The critical factor when choosing the size is not your height, but you back length.  Get someone to measure from the nobbly vertebra at the base of your neck down to a line drawn along the top of your hip bones at the back - this is your back length for choosing a pack.

Hope this is helpful

Alan
from England ( Starting my Camino mid May 2002)