the mountain Part 2

pieter pannevis p.pannevisaCHELLO.NL
Sun Apr 7 00:03:46 PST 2002

Dear all, in a not so recent message I wrote:

"Secondly which is a stronger point IMHO it's not the Pyrenees that" kills"
You. It's the repetition of stages of the Camino that follows which will be
harassing you "

Perhaps this needs a little bit of explanation and should certainly not be
seen in the light of two recently occurred deaths there!
I assume most of us have an ordinary life; not too sport- minded, have a
good warm soft bed and orange juice and donuts in the morning!

You might even have trained a bit, in the weekends with a backpack and your
shoes
Now we head out for the ancient spot in Spain, with our new Ecco's and a
rather uncomfortable heavy backpack.

Well we don speak the language and eventually, rather jetlagged we arrive in
St Jean by one way or another
I assume you're not in perfect shape by then.  You sleep rather short, much
snoring around and there you go!

For all of us despite how trained we are it's a feasible thing to do,
HOWEVER, arrived in Roncevalles, we feel rather tired, have blisters
perhaps...and it's no weekend.
The bath has gone and so has the donuts. You get up in the morning rather
stiff from the strain of yesterdays ordeal and normally it would fade away,
while you would resume your daily quiet routine at home, but now you've to
set out again. Yes it's great this pine needle track under the trees.

You body has to recuperate from the strain you put on it, but there is no
time and you go on. So the "problems" you've got, won't lessen, unless you
take your time and do it very slowly the first stages, which means no total
rest, but neither putting you to another ordeal again. Please plan the next
stages very nicely accordingly how you feel. Do NOT get bothered by other
pilgrims who speed along you: you'll find them again on the roadside licking
their wounds.
I do know that's difficult to get away so long, but if you can do it
certainly the fist stages very nicely (and you body would say thank you for
that) say till Pamplona (find a nice hotel there and treat yourself) or even
to Estella. From there on you're body will find a way to this everyday
walking and in the same time rise to the occasion and you'll find more
strength and as a bonus the problems that arose from this mountain track
were not worsened as you took care!
If you speed up, there is no time for that and eventually you might run into
serious problems as tendonitis

El Camino is much more enjoyed at a lower speed, looking for the small
alberques (every one rushes to the main ones). Try to get in some (one or
two days off) I'll suggest Burgos (or have a walk from St Juan to Burgos
that day only) and one day in Leon. This way you'll have a perfect Camino
and you'll enjoy all the more!

as always
Ultreaya and Good Health to you !
Pieter and Trigo from Holland