oops, the Pyrenees

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 6 14:08:33 PST 2002

Dear All,
SJPP to Roncesvalles was my first day out and alone for the first third.
Although not jet lagged, I was 53, unfit and overweigh, and  my pack was
full of some ridiculously unessential items - some carried for sentimental
reasons and some for lack of experience.  Anyway, I lived to tell about it.
It took me 9 hours.  Uphill was particularly gruelling - I thought it would
never end.  I tried walking backwards, etc., and it just kept going up and
up.  There's no switch back to ease the steep, and at that time there was no
hostel midway.  Fortunately, just as I was begining to feel discouraged and
a bit frightened, I met Javier, a solid young Spanish man walking to
Roncesvalles to work there as a volunteer.  Apparently he had done this
several times and knew the way well. It felt like I had been sent a guardian
angel to help me along the way.  He knew how to pace the walk, where to find
water, when to eat, when to rest - without him I might have just rolled back
down to SJPP.  I'll always be grateful for his kind, quiet intervention.
It's rather strange, recently I met another pilgrim who, in another year,
had difficulty crossing the Pyrenees and he too met Javier - and had the
same guardian angel experience.
Are there any others?

lin galea
san francisco