SJPP

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Fri Apr 5 16:30:35 PST 2002

To all,

I started in SJPP in November 2001, a single woman, 45 years old, alone.

The first morning I was to walk, I set my alarm for 6AM and slept in
until 9:30AM a direct result of jetlag/trainlag from travelling 16 hours
the day before from Toronto, Canada.

Jacques at the Pilgrims office in SJPP suggested it was too late in the
day to walk to Roncesvalles, but I could walk 6kms to Hontos stay the
night. He called ahead and reserved a room, although there were no other
pilgrims that day, at least the owners knew I was arriving. It was a
grueling uphill climb and a great way to start my pilgrimage.

The next day I set out alone. About half way I met a German pilgrim, the
only other pilgrim walking that day. We spoke briefly then he walked
ahead and sometime later we met up again. This time we walked together.
The weather was cloudy, rainy and windy. I was glad for his company
although I am sure that I could have done it on my own that day. It took
us 71/2 hours to complete the walk from Hontos. I was aware to be
cautious on the Pyranees, but didn't realize the true danger...sometimes
ignorance is bliss.

As I am a competitive rower, I was in good physical condition and didn't
have a problem the first 2 days. In Roncesvalles, 20 cms of snow had
fallen overnight, creating some challenges. Most importantly, a knee
injury caused from walking down the mountain side on slippery snow.

If you have the time, I recommend walking to Hontos the first day and
then on to Roncesvalles the next day. This will give you a chance get
accustomed to walking longer distances. Besides the French food is
really good at the Hostel!

Buen Camino,

Sue

sue.kenneyasympatico.ca