oops, the Pyrenees

pieter pannevis p.pannevisaCHELLO.NL
Fri Apr 5 10:21:46 PST 2002

Dear Robert, dear all,
I do wish for every pilgrim to have her/his go  at the Pyrenees !!
I quit agree that I had a three month daily training on the subject of
walking I hate!

I did confess that I was scared too, however I do think that the “problem”
of the Pyrenees doesn’t lie in the crossing itself, but in the aftermath.
Anyone with a reasonable condition can do the “route Napoleon” I’d like to
restate>
However
.
First, most pilgrims who do cross, jumped out of plane and taxied or bussed
to St jean and went ahead. Not a perfect form to be in!
Secondly which is a stronger point IMHO it’s not the Pyrenees that”kills”
you. It’s the repetition of stages of the Camino that follows which will be
harassing you.

You could easily settle after this “walk’ and be quit comfortable, only you
and St James, demand that you go to Fisterra (to the end). Then there is no
time for recuperation and as most pilgrims also harassed by a very narrow
event calendar, they over stress them selves and
the body reacts in a quit
natural manner!

So my advice will still be. Take your time. Just have a nice walk in the
hills there (France is worse) and slow down till say Pamplona (treat
yourself for a few days there) and then go one, just listening to the signs
of your body and – as Robert, my learned friend, who meet soon again- points
out quit rightly, build up your stamina. Do not
Overdo it, or try to do it like other pilgrims!
Please remember: it’s your Camino! Your very own.
And
you’ll be proud to have started your Camino in St.Jean

With all respect for future pilgrims

as always
Ultreaya and Good Health to you !
Pieter and Trigo from Holland
mailto:p.pannevisachello.nl <mailto:p.pannevisachello.nl>