Bilbao

Joe and Lydia Banales lydiaaBANALES.NET
Thu Apr 4 10:23:55 PST 2002

I cannot recommend a hotel in Bilbao as we stayed in a not very
memorable one downtown. But I highly recommend the Cathedral area (the
Begonia). There is another cathedral in "old town" which is worth seeing
as well, especially because it is named after St. James! If you walk
through the old town, there is a stairway street that goes uphill to the
site of the old Jewish cemetary which is now a soccer stadium.
Continuing along this street brings you to a great old cemetary and then
on to the Catherdral. Bilbao has a very industrial luster to it, but it
has its' lovely areas as well. And while you may not be a fan of modern
art, it is very worthwhile to see the Guggenheim museum. The design of
the building is fantastic. I bought pencils as souvenirs to bring home.
Very light, very cheap. Buen Camino. Lydia

Adrienne Patton wrote:

> Hi Cledwyn et al,
>
> This is from Eric Walker's guide of the Northern
> Routes, on which Bilbao is the first large city.  As
> you see, there is a refugio there - you should be able
> to get your credencial and first sello there!
>
> Sellos:
> 1. Cathedral
> 2. Tourist Office Bilbaos Iniciativas Turisticas
> Plaza de Arriaga,(no #). (In basement of Arriaga
> Theatre)  Tel. (944) 16 02 88
> 3. Tourist Office (Bilbaos Iniciativas Turisticas),
> Paseo del Arenal.  Tel. 944 79 57 60
>
> Accommodation:
> Ref.
 Albergue de Bilbao (Aterpetxea), Carretera