The SJPP walk

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 4 08:36:17 PST 2002

Hi Gauri,

The SJPP walk (Route Napoleon) is very long and
difficult.  I started off my pilgrimage not at all in
top shape. (Though I came home to Texas 7 weeks later,
quite buff!)  I was the first to leave the SJPP refuge
at 6am that morning, and one of the last to arrive, at
around 5pm - yes, 11 hours.

It is an upward climb for the fist 3/4's of the way,
and then a steep decline.  There are no bars, stores
or villages.

About 2/3's of the way up, I could be found sprawled
over a stone cross monument (and I'm a Buddhist, mind
you) saying (and this is a direct quote), "If I were
to die right now, that would not be such a bad thing."

It was a trial by fire on my first day on the Camino,
and there is no way I should have been physically able
to do it.  It was sheer will and determination that
got me to Roncesvalles.  (Later on the Camino, after
Burgos, my force of will was gradually replaced with
faith and peace.)

That said, please believe me, I am not trying to
discourage you from this route if you are determined
to start there.  I don't regret it for a moment!  I
would do it again in the future.  It was stunningly
beautiful and a very fitting beginning to the Walk.
Reaching the traditional starting point in
Roncesvalles, getting my first post-walk sello,
attending the blessing, having my first dinner with
fellow walkers who would become my companions for the
ensuing days and weeks...it was all amazing and worth
it. But the physical challenge of it is something to
consider.  There is an alternate road route to
Roncesvalles that goes through villages - you can get
a map of both at the refuge the night before.

Ultreya!
Adrienne