world peace

Barry Schuyler jbs1947aYAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 24 14:42:23 PDT 2001

 I have read all the letters regarding the tragedy in New York City, and I find that Howard Mendes has consistently offered the most reasoned and logical commentary.  I have never seen him make any comments other than to forcefully offer his opinion.  I have never read an entry which would constitute a personal attack on anyone.
I think certain members are taking personal affront to his entries because they don't like his opinion.  Howard responds to apologists and others who find excuses for the terrorist action and is then considered to be un-pilgrim-like.  I am grateful for his comments.
I worked in the north tower for 5 years, on the 104 th floor.  This tragedy has had a great impact on me.  And I walked to Santiago twice, making many friends among the Spaniards and all others.  I consider myself a true pilgrim of Santiago.  I truly and sincerely believe that force is necessary to protect the country, to make our country secure.  I don't want or need revenge, but believe our enemies would only hope that we would turn the other cheek, to make their next attack, which is surely in the making, that much easier.
I walked for a week through Navarra a year or so ago with friends from Pamplona I met on my first Camino.  When they heard I was walking again, they took a week off so that they could accompany me.  It was one of the best weeks I have spent.  I wish I were walking to Puente La Reina today.
Best regards to all, and thanks to Howard Mendes for his clear thoughts and comments.
Barry Schuyler